Friday 24 February 2017

Submitting to Agents

Hi,guys,

I can't believe it's over two months since I last posted. Where does the time go? I'm in a happy place writing-wise right now because I've just completed the third draft of my new novel and waiting for my readers to give me their wisdom. (I always get nervous about this, because it's 'real' people reading the ms and not just me). I am real, by the way.

I've self-published before, but I've decided to contact agents over this one. I feel like I'm going into battle. I can't remember the last time I queried an agent about a new manuscript, so I'm studying it all again to make sure those pesky mistakes don't creep in. The problem is, everything I read about submitting tells me something different. Do I start with the novel name and the length? Or do I jump right in with the pitch, then continue from there? Do I start with my logline? Do I compare my novel to others, or not? Some say do, some say don't. Phew, I'm not sure what the answers are so I'm going to do what comes naturally, and hopefully make it as exciting and readable as possible and keep my fingers crossed. The only thing I'm sure about, is keeping my fingers crossed.
I know how to do that.

Love Valentina xxx

4 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Well, I'm not the best authority on this as I've never done it, but my instinct would be to go against comparing your book to others. It might look like you're trying to model your work on theirs rather than going your own path. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Valentina Hepburn said...

Thanks, Nick, for commenting. I agree with you. And to be honest I'm not sure which novel I would compare it with. I've seen it done before and sometimes I think it looks a bit clunky. I've used the method in the Amazon blurb with some of my books, and it reads okay, but I think for a query it's probably not wise. At least not for me. Good luck with your own writing!

Tanya Reimer said...

Best of luck!!!

Valentina Hepburn said...

Thanks, Tanya. Hope all is well!

The Blogettes